I’ve been getting ready for a work related trip over the past few days. A quick 5 day jaunt across the U.S. from WV to WA. While I love traveling, my travels have been somewhat limited. I’ve been to a handful of US locales and three international spots.
I took my first trip when I was about 6-7 years old. I had family in Bradenton, FL at the time. My mother, grandmother, and I took a bus the 900+ miles. Oddly, I think I have more memories from the bus ride than I do the actual stay in FL which even included a trip to Disney World. Here’s what I remember about that trip:
- I was traumatized there were no mountains in FL.
- We crossed a really long bridge and a man on the bus swore he saw dolphins jumping out of the water, but I never saw them.
- I met a little girl on the bus and I was captivated by her. She had brown eyes, black hair, and brown skin. We were watching the little hills coming up on the highway and wondering how tall they were. She said something about a hill that went all the way to Jupiter and I played along even though I didn’t know what or where Jupiter was. I didn’t want her to think I was dumb.
- A very hateful old woman was on the bus. At a bus stop, she was trying to get on the wrong bus. The lady wouldn’t listen to the drivers. My grandmother tried to help her and get her back on our bus, but the old lady was mean to my grandmother so we walked away. Our bus pulled out and the old lady was still arguing with the driver for the other bus.
- There was some commotion over a hitchhiker or a woman that needed a ride? She might have been a prostitute? There was a lot of yelling.
- I saw a lot of lizards in FL.
- We went to Disney World. I remember riding It’s a Small World and crying on my second ride on Space Mountain. I also rode the Dumbo ride, but I don’t actually remember that; I know I did because we have a picture of me on the ride.
- We went to the beach a lot. The sunsets on the Gulf of Mexico were pretty.
- I lost my two favorite dolls somewhere during that trip.
- I fell asleep on the bus on the way home. When I woke up, there were mountains again and I yell out: “Mommy, we’re home! The mountains are back.” I was overjoyed to be off flat ground.
To this day, flat places make me a little nervous.